European Tree of The Year 2022
The UK's Tree of the Year, the Kippford Leaning Tree, became our European Tree of the Year entry. Discover the results of this year's competition.
Credit: Drew Patterson
The winner of UK Tree of the Year 2021, the Kippford Leaning Tree, had a chance to become the European Tree of the Year in the 2022 competition.
The lone hawthorn tree is located in Kippford, Dalbeattie in Dumfries & Galloway. It cuts an impressive presence as the only tree on a windswept cockleshell beach, standing alone as it guards the Scottish coastline.
Pitted against 14 other special trees that have won national contests around Europe, only one could be crowned the European Tree of the Year 2022.
Voting closed on 28 February 2022 and the results were announced on 22 March:
- 1st: Oak Dunin (Poland) - 179,317 votes
- 2nd: Oak of Conxo's Banquet Forest (Spain) - 168,284 votes
- 3rd: The Big Cork Oak (Portugal) - 70,563 votes
- 4th: Chestnut of the hundred horses (Italy) - 46,275 votes
- 5th: Umbrella from High Tatras (Slovakia) - 37,872 votes
- 6th: Kippford Leaning Tree (UK) - 30,761 votes
- 7th: The Singing Lime (Czech Republic) - 28,649 votes
- 8th: The Multisecular Sweet Chestnut of Audran Square (France) - 28,119 votes
- 9th: Age Grand Oak (Latvia) - 27,098 votes
- 10th: The weeping sophoras of the Csokonai Theatre in Debrecen (Hungary) - 26,347 votes
- 11th: The giant sequoia from Slatina (Republic of Croatia) - 26,225 votes
- 12th: The Giant Sequoia of the College Notre Dame de Bonlieu (Belgium) - 25,724 votes
- 13th: The King's Pine (Estonia) - 25,346 votes
- 14th: Grandpa Kolyo's tree (Bulgaria) - 24,431 votes
- 15th: I am Tilia (The Netherlands) - 24,201 votes