Orrest Head and Elleray Wood formed part of the Elleray Estate which was formerly owned by Arthur Henry Heywood. In 1902 his widow and daughter gave Orrest Head in trust to Windermere Council to be held for public walks of pleasure grounds. In 1943 most of Elleray Wood was given to the Council under similar terms by other members of the family. A small part at the northern end is owned by South Lakeland District Council but leased to the Town Council and managed as part of the Community Woodland. The wood is to the north-east of the A592 Church Street, and was probably laid out in the nineteenth century; many of the original pathways and carriage drives are still used and are in relatively good condition.