Avoncliff Wood: keeping a sleeping beauty safe forever
Thanks to you we can keep the magic of this unspoiled ancient woodland alive.
Avoncliff Wood is now in our care
Thanks to your generous donations and support from Nationwide Building Society, we’ve taken this picturesque ancient woodland, along with 26 acres of adjacent land, into our expert care. We can also fund long term conservation work to protect the wood and benefit local wildlife.
Now we can treasure this wood forever
Plucked straight from the pages of a fairytale, Avoncliff is an enchanting wood just a few miles outside the historic city of Bath. Resting on the bank of the River Avon, this 48 acre ancient woodland is a true sleeping beauty. Left undisturbed for generations, with no formal paths and little human intervention, the wood has flourished into a tranquil haven for wildlife. Swathes of ramsons carpet the woodland floor and greater horseshoe bats and orange tip butterflies have been recorded here.
Our plan for Avoncliff's future
Thanks to your help we can:
- Keep 48 acres of rare and breathtakingly beautiful ancient woodland safe
- Begin a range of environmental surveys to fully access this magical wood and the wildlife and trees within it
- Help Avoncliff flourish despite the impact of ash dieback, the devastating tree disease present at this wood and hundreds of others across the UK
- Plant trees on 26 acres of surrounding land to buffer the wood and create a wildlife-rich mosaic of trees and open space
- Open up parts of the woodland fringe where access is possible, giving people opportunity to enjoy some of the wonders of Avoncliff
- Give local villages and schools the chance to get involved by planting trees and shaping the future of a vibrant new woodland on their doorstep.