What to collect for your wreath
The first thing you will need are twigs, these will make the base of your wreath. Ensure these are bendy so using tree species like willow or osier will help. You could buy naturally made bases if you’d rather skip this step.
For a more colourful design you could add in some ribbons or even use biodegradable glitter to give a festive sparkle to your wreath!
You will also need:
- Scissors or pruning shears
- Natural materials such as holly with berries, mistletoe, pinecones, cinnamon, laurel, and anything else you want to add to your wreath
How to make a holly wreath
1) To make the base, bend twigs into a circle and tie them together with the twine. Repeat the process with several twigs to create a thick circular base of twigs.
2) Tie bunches of leafy material together at the base. This could be the laurel and mistletoe (perfect for the little ones to do) and holly (great for the adults to do).
3) Tie these bunches into the twig base covering the base.
4) Once the base is covered in the leafy material you can use some extra twine to tie the sections together and then cut back any unruly sections
5) Now tie in any extra bits that you would like such as pine cones, cinnamon and orange slices. You can keep it simple or cover the wreath completely!
6) Finally tie a loop of string at the top of the wreath ready to hang it from your front door.