Easy recipes for homemade Christmas treats
Kids will love cooking up these yummy Christmas treats. Don’t forget to leave one out for Santa!
Christmas tree biscuits
This simple recipe makes about 20 biscuits. You will need:
- 225g softened butter
- 110g caster sugar
- 275g plain flour
- icing sugar
- green food colouring
- small edible cake decorations, such as coloured balls and sprinkles
- a Christmas tree-shaped cookie cutter (optional).
1. Preheat oven to 180°C / gas mark 4.
2. Cream the butter and sugar, and beat with a fork or hand mixer until the mixture is light and fluffy.
3. Sift in the flour and mix into a dough.
4. Roll it out to about 1cm thickness and cut out the Christmas tree shapes. (If you don’t have a tree cooker cutter, just cut out tree-shaped triangles).
5. Place them on a baking tray, and bake for 13-15 minutes, until they are light golden brown.
6. Cool them on a wire rack.
7. Mix the icing sugar with enough water to make a fairly runny icing and add the green colouring.
8. When the biscuits are cool, drizzle lines of icing across them in a zigzag pattern (practise on a piece of paper first). If that’s too tricky, just coat the whole biscuit. Decorate your trees with coloured balls or sprinkles.
These no-cook snacks are so cute. And they’re healthy too!
You will need:
- 10 large strawberries
- 125g cream cheese
- 2tbsp icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- dark chocolate chips.
1. Cut the bottom and top off each strawberry – save the tops for the hats.
2. Mix the cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla essence and put it into a piping bag.
3. Pipe a round blob of icing onto each strawberry base to make Santa’s face, and add two chocolate chips for eyes.
4. Put the strawberry tops back on.
5. Finish by piping a couple of dots of icing on his front for buttons, and a small round blob on the top of his hat.
This recipe makes 12 deliciously chocolatey reindeer cakes.
You will need:
- 110g margarine
- 100g caster sugar
- 25g cocoa powder
- 100g self raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 200g plain chocolate, broken into squares
- 100ml double cream
- 50g icing sugar
- plain chocolate chips
- glacé cherries
- mini pretzels
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / gas mark 4. Take the double cream out of the fridge so it’s not too cold.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time.
3. Sift in the flour and cocoa powder and fold into the mixture. Add a little milk if it’s too dry.
4. Spoon into cupcake cases and bake for 10-12 minutes. Then put the cakes on a wire rack to cool.
5. Melt the chocolate in a microwave, or over a pan of simmering water.
6. Add the double cream and icing sugar and mix until smooth.
7. Ice the cakes once they are cool, add chocolate chips for eyes, half a glacé cherry for a nose and attach two mini pretzels for antlers.
Did you follow our recipes? Which was your favourite? Why not post some pictures of your culinary creations on our Facebook page?
Have a very merry Christmas!