Woodland Walks podcast with Adam Shaw and Elaine Paige
I was honoured to meet the wonderful Elaine Paige, award winning actress, singer, producer and radio presenter for this episode. An active supporter of the Woodland Trust, we join her as she plants trees at London's Hainault Forest and chat about the environment, theatre and her hopes for the future.
Over half a century, appearances in smash hit West End and Broadway musicals including Jesus Christ Superstar, Sunset Boulevard, Evita, Cats and Chess have earned Elaine the title of First Lady of Musical Theatre. She gives us rare insight into her years on stage and the experiences that first led her to tread the boards, as well as her appreciation of woods and trees throughout her life.
Credit: Philip Formby / WTML
Also in this episode, hear Elaine on:
- why nature is important to her and the role it played in her childhood
- her rise to stardom after getting the part in Evita in 1978, a role that changed her life forever
- her own plans for the future, including a return to singing and planting more trees!
Plant trees like Elaine! Whether in your garden, on your land or in your community, every tree makes a difference for people, wildlife and the environment.
Buy trees from our shop
We have single trees and tree packs to meet your needs, from wildlife to woodfuel. Delivery is free.
Trees for landowners and farmers
If you’re looking to plant lots of trees, we have the trees, grants and funding schemes to help.
Free trees for schools and communities
We want to make sure everyone in the UK has the chance to plant a tree. So we’re giving away hundreds of thousands of trees to schools and communities.
Why plant trees?
Whatever your reason for planting, trees have far-reaching benefits for all of us.
New to the podcast?
Don’t miss our previous episodes, including:
- England’s largest new native wood at Heartwood
- Loch Arkaig, an ancient Scotland pine forest
- how trees are making a difference on a Nottinghamshire farm
- Ben Shieldaig, a great example of Scotland’s rainforest
- the urban woods and trees of Leeds
- Joyden’s Wood, a tranquil ancient wood close to London
- the Trust’s largest site in England – Smithills Estate
- the ambitious Northern Forest planting project
- the new young people’s forest at Mead
- fascinating staff stories
- a tour of our president Clive Anderson's garden
- special tree-themed interviews with celebrities including Steph McGovern, Tracy Chevalier, Dan Snow, Kathy Clugston, Alastair Campbell, Adrian Chiles and Cressida Cowell.
Please subscribe to the podcast if you want to hear more woodland adventures and don’t forget to rate us or leave a review!
I am keen to hear from you as well – so if you have a favourite woodland walk, do tell me about it in a short email. If you can, make a 5 minute or so recording of your own walk and we may feature your woodland walk in a future podcast.
I’ll be off on another woodland walk soon. Hope you can join me.
Primordial landscapes, tangled branches, breathtaking wildlife and miles of woodland trails. From the countryside to cities, we care for thousands of woods throughout the UK, all free to visit.Find a wood near you