Hundreds of thousands of children are being given unique access to the beauty of nature, thanks to our award winning partnership with Yorkshire Tea.
Bettys and Taylors of Harrogate (owners of Yorkshire Tea) have supported our work since 1999, however embarked on their biggest project with us by pledging to plant one million trees - 500,000 with us and a similar number in Kenya over the next five years.
The tea provider soon set about recruiting the help of children's favourite The Gruffalo to launch the project, in addition to an exciting online campaign, app and much more. Julia Donaldson, author of The Gruffalo, also penned a rhyming couplet about the partnership (see below).
So far, since the project began, more than 2,700 schools have received Yorkshire Tree planting packs, bringing tens of thousands of kids direct access to nature. There have been over one million clickthroughs from the 2016/17 campaign which featured a "colour me in" Gruffalo woodland. These landed on the Yorkshire Tree website which features fantastic shared brand messages, facts from us etc.
The campaign has achieved fantastic awareness in the market, 36% (7m) in 2016 - up from 28% in 2015.
In 2017, the success of the partnership was honoured with an award for "Best alignment of brand values through a sponsorship activity" at the Corporate Engagement Awards.
The awards, held annually, recognise the most innovative and successful corporate partnerships and sponsorships.
Julia Donaldson - and her rhyming couplet for the partnership:
"The Gruffalo is losing the deep dark wood.
Would you help him if you could?
Plant some trees to fill the clearing
And stop the wood from disappearing."
Kevin Sinfield, Head of Brand Marketing at Yorkshire Tea said:
"The character and story of The Gruffalo really brings to life the rationale for the tree planting and the story of our pledge. We think that this, coupled with The Woodland Trust’s schools network will really help us engage the next generation in the importance of trees and in doing so, demonstrate to their parents that Yorkshire Tea is the proper brew that makes a proper difference.
"We’re confident that our association with The Gruffalo brand will give us a way to talk to a broad number of consumers in an engaging way to get more people to care about our values and the environment."
- £500,000 set aside for the project by Yorkshire Tea
- An award winning partnership - at the Corporate Engagement Awards 2017
- During 2016, in the second year of our partnership, 100,000 of these trees will be sent out to schools across the UK
- The trees will help to increase tree cover in the UK which is currently 13 per cent compared to 37 per cent in Europe
- These free trees add to more than seven million free trees donated to schools and communities through the Woodland Trust’s free trees scheme
- Free trees for schools help educate children about the benefits of trees for the environment